After last year’s successful first ACK Mental, and with the challenges of the pandemic, we knew how important it was to engage our community in a conversation about mental health, stigma, and skateboarding. As we worked on this year’s remote ACK Mental, in partnership with the great folds at NCTV and our generous sponsors, we could tell something special was coming together.
I’ve watched the 2020 ACK Mental video numerous times. Every time I see it, I grin, laugh out loud, and am moved by the powerful testimonials included in the 30-minute masterpiece of community support, stigma shattering, and joyful skatepark and musical fun.
Here is a link to the YouTube video so you can watch it if you missed it, or watch it a second time if you want to experience those good feelings again, or share it with people you know would appreciate it.
What’s in it:
- Lots of fun skateboarding, inline skating, scootering, and BMX biking clips of kids and adults who enjoy healthy outlet provided by the skatepark
- Testimonials from people aged 6 to 40 about the park, their relationship with it, and how it enhances their lives and mental health (including an amazing analysis from a skateboarder explaining that skateboarding is geometry)
- An original song and music video produced especially for ACK Mental by Scott Capizzo, who is also the event’s emcee
- Timothy Lepore discussing Addiction Solutions, stigma, and the partnership between therapy and other modalities, like medication assisted therapy
- Sue Mynttinen of ASAP and Tom Dixon, on-island legislative liaison for Rep. Dylan Fernandes in conversation about mental health, substance misuse, the skatepark, community, and more
- Our interim Executive Director Michael Kellerman talking a bit about Fairwinds and the importance of ACK Mental
- Our Clinical Director Amanda Wright reminding us all of the services Fairwinds offers
Enjoy ACK Mental 2020 and remember, Fairwinds is always here for you, and anyone who needs our professional behavioral health services. No matter what.
Best, Vanessa Park, Communications Director